Friday 27 January 2012

Who knows where does the time goes?

If you're ever stuck for a heading use a song title!

I can't believe we've come around to Friday again already. It's been a hectic week, with quite a large percentage of the activity being relevant to the subject in hand!!

I spent a large chunk of Wednesday going through my jobsearch-related emails, weeding out unwanted, out-of-date and irrelevant communications and unsubscribing from mailing lists that have been throwing up more chaff than wheat. I've cut back to, essentially, just my 'Indeed' search so I should be able to devote more time and effort to getting decent applications in for jobs that match my skills (as opposed to wading through deleting the irrelevant stuff that seems to materialise out of the ether.

(My skills, for any would-be employers who may have strayed into my web, are in the sphere of application software design and build. I've got a total of about 18 years commercial experience, using COBOL, Fortran and Cognos Powerhouse on a variety of platforms. I've recently also completed an evening course in C++ programming and object-oriented methodologies, which I'm itching to put to use!!)

Advert over!

We had a presentation from Ian Malcolmson of Computer Business Services at the Job Club yesterday. He was talking about the joys (and to an extent the pitfalls) of setting up a small business. Very interesting and thought-provoking, but not, I fear (I mean really fear), a direction I can see myself following.

Beth Simkin-Park (major HR person at Simplyhealth) has returned my CV with a number of very valid and worthwhile constructive criticisms. I now foresee some serious word-processor time coming up.... anything that improves the presented profile must be good! Many thanks indeed Beth!

This week's really good news is that HMRC have finally come up with most of the Family Tax Credits that have been due to us since my son started college in September - at last we're now two people living on two people's money (such as it is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment