Monday 23 April 2012

The nature of belief...

Aside from the usual 'routine' stuff, the main jobsearch-related thing to have happened since last we met here was another presentation from Paul Sherwood at the North West Hants JC.

I think he really outdid himself this time, with a really powerful session entitled "Believe - A shadow of the past, a window on the future."  As is usual for Paul, this was far from being a 'talking head' presentation, with much group participation and, I think it's fair to say, self-examination, involved. (The latter is true, at least in my case, if nobody else's.)

Allowing for my usual 'it's what I took from it' caveat; what we looked at was how our beliefs, be they justified or not, are ingrained into our world-view very early in life and how they have an enormous influence on how we perceive and interact with the world.

Given this situation, we looked at ways of replacing 'Limiting Beliefs' (negative beliefs which create a negative feedback loop and thence restrict the capacity to achieve one's goals), with positively-worded and success-focused alternatives.

I'm, by nature, quite sceptical about this sort of exercise, but was amazed at the burst of 'positivity' that came with crossing out my old belief and then writing down and reading aloud the new one.  Perhaps most importantly, that feeling didn't dissipate as soon as I walked out of the room!

Unfortunately, one positive belief that I took into this meeting was that an agency guy I'd spoken to earlier in the week was getting straight back to me with news of a telephone interview.  Unfortunately, no amount of positive belief and/or email communication seems to have brought this about as yet.

Ho hum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment